Happy New Year, lovelies!
As we finish the last of the cookies, take down our trees, and Hallmark Channel goes back to playing it’s non-holiday movie collection (still addictive, but with added variety), it can feel a little like all the magic is being drained from the world. The nights seem longer and everyone seems to retreat back into their own lives. It’s as if the planet has gone into a dark, cold hibernation.
However, when retreating seems like the easy thing to do, we need to reach out even more to hold on to those warm and fuzzy holiday season vibes. As cheesy as it sounds, the holiday spirit can continue to thrive in the darkest winter and beyond if we nurture it. A little kindness goes a long way into this world. Something as small as a smile can be like a cup of hot cocoa on freezing night. Who knows? You could be the spark that starts the wildfire as bright as the sun.
Here are 31 one ways to spread a little more kindness in 2019.
- Share a smile with everyone you meet.
- Hold the door as often as you can.
- Clean out your closet and donate all your unwanted clothes.
- Pay for a stranger’s coffee.
- Compliment a stranger’s outfit.
- Text someone just to say hi.
- Bring in something yummy for your coworkers.
- Email a former teacher or professor and tell them thanks for the impact they made in your life.
- Treat a loved one to lunch.
- Give your best friend a social media shout-out about how awesome they are.
- Shovel an elderly neighbor’s sidewalk. (Or rake their leaves depending on the season.)
- Spend an afternoon volunteering.
- Instead of wishing someone a Happy Birthday on Facebook, mail them a a card with a heartfelt note inside.
- Spend an afternoon making memories with your grandparents.
- Send a care package full of treats to a long distance friend/relative, a relative in college, or sign up with an organization that sends them to the troops overseas.
- Treat someone to lunch.
- Make a donation to a charity or your church.
- Really listen.
- Pick up some $10.00 gift cards and send them out randomly to people.
- Make someone a playlist of songs you think they would love.
- Leave a positive review for your favorite author.
- Offer to babysit so a friend can get a much-needed break.
- Do a little baking and pass out treats to your your neighbors.
- Leave an anonymous note for someone who could use a pick-me-up.
- Say a prayer for someone.
- Recommend a a great book or podcast you think someone would love.
- Thank your parents for everything they’ve done for you.
- Call your grandparents.
- Send someone flowers just because.
- Stay the extra five minutes.
- Say “I love you” whenever possible.